Truffle Mushroom Soup

Hey y'all,

Long time, no post. I'm suffering from COVID isolation blues and boredom, so I decided to make a recipe post for this mushroom soup I whipped up the other day. It's pretty simple, but tastes gourmet AF (IMHO). I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

soupy twist

Ingredients
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
500g mixed mushrooms (about 3 cups. I used button and crimini) *
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp truffle oil (plus more for serving)
2 tbsp miso paste
4 cups stock/water **
1 cup coconut milk (the kind from the can, not the kind you use on your Cinnamon Toast Crunch when you're too baked to make dinner)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt + pep

* optional: add a handful of dried mushrooms as well. I used dried shiitakes.
** If you have veggie stock, you can use 2 cups stock/2 cups water. But, if you don't have any stock, the soup is still delicious when made with water

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in your pan of choice, over medium heat. While it's heating, chop your onion. It doesn't have to be precise, as we'll be blending it all up later.
Dice ya onion

Add onion to the pan and cook for 3-5 min, until the onion starts to soften and turn translucent.

Cook dat shit

While the onion is cooking, peel your garlic cloves, crush with your knife, and roughly chop (or use your preferred garlic crushing device).

Garlicky goodness

You will also need to rinse and chop your mushrooms, if they haven't come pre sliced. I used half button mushrooms, half crimini mushrooms. I also used a handful of dried shiitake mushrooms (idk how much, I didn't weigh those. maybe 50g?)

fresh shroomie boys
dried shroomie boys

Once the onion is soft, add the garlic and the mushrooms, and saute those for another 3-5 min, until the mushrooms start to cook down a bit and you get some nice smells coming through.

almost as pasty as my skin

Add the miso paste, along with the stock/water. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for 30 min.

now you can go sit down and watch tv for a while

After half an hour, it's time to blend! The ideal tool would be a hand blender, but, alas, mine broke. So, I have to use my bullet blender. Blend the cooked mixture in the pot with the coconut milk, cornstarch, nutmeg, and 1 tbsp of truffle oil.

i need a new hand blender


Return the blended mixture to the pot, still on low heat, and start adding salt and pepper to your taste. The amount of salt you add will depend on how salty your miso paste is. Cover again, and leave for another 15 min to cook through and thicken up.


Serve it up however you please! I like it with fresh cracked pepper and a drizzle of truffle oil, with some nice crusty bread on the side :)

it's soup time, bitches






Comments

  1. Let's just say I'm souper excited to make this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Paleo life

Vegan Lasagne!

Depression, Disordered Eating, And All That Bullshit In Between