All Jacked Up

Welcome to week 2 of Veg-tember! I have already successfully failed one of my goals, which was to blog at least 2x/week. But, sticking to one of my other goals, I'm not gonna beat myself up over it! My laptop is still being repaired, so I only have my work computer to use anyway, and that's what I'm gonna stick to as my excuse. It has nothing to do with the fact that I spent all week binge watching trash TV, and weekend drinking beer with my friends. Nothing whatsover.

I used to wonder WTF was up with recipe blogs that post an entire fucking essay about the meal they prepared before posting the actual goddamn recipe. But now, as I post my first recipe, I find myself feeling like I need to share a backstory on it. I'll keep it short, I swear

First recipe on the blog is one that is most certainly not original, but it is something I've been wanting to try for a while - jackfruit 'pulled pork'. The issue I found with many recipes is that they call for store bought BBQ sauce, which is loaded with sugar and all sorts of crap. Or, the ones that do call for BBQ sauce made from scratch still include a boat load of maple syrup, honey, raw sugar, you name it Don't get me wrong, sugar is fucking delicious, but I don't need it all up in my healthy dins. So, while my recipe does have some sugar in it, I kept it minimal, and I think it's still bomb. Let's get it on.



BBQ Jackfruit "Pulled Pork"

2 tins jackfruit in brine/water
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne (to taste)

BBQ sauce
1 small tin (156ml) tomato paste
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
Liquid smoke to taste
Salt to taste (if needed, the soy sauce does add a lot of salt already. Make sure to taste it first)

To start, drain and rinse the jackfruit in a colander. Then, shred the jackfruit with your dainy lady hands, pulling out and tough bits/seeds that may be in there. Once shredded, transfer to a bowl and mix in the dry seasoning. Set aside while you make the BBQ sauce

Dump all that BBQ sauce shit in a pan over low-medium head, and stir it til it reduces down a bit. It should end up looking like BBQ sauce. I assume you've seen BBQ sauce before

Since I am the laziest person on the planet, I like to use as few pots and pans as possible. So, I put the prepared sauce in a mason jar, and added the jackfruit to the dirty saucepan and cooked it til somewhat soft over the same head. What you could do, if you're less lazy than me, is heat up a little bit of oil in a separate frying pan and cook the jackfruit in that. But, ya know, less dishes AND less fat my way, just saying.

u saucy minx
After a few mins, start adding the BBQ sauce into the jackfruit in the pan. You may not use the entire batch of sauce - I used about 2/3 of it, and I ain't too mad about having a bit leftover to put on some other shit later on (read: my naked body. just kidding. or am I? I'm not even sure, to be honest)

Cook the jackfruit and sauce down for about 15-20 min, over low heat, stirring as often as you fucking feel like it, but often enough that it doesn't still to the bottom of your pan because then you might ruin your pan, and I don't want you blaming me for that shit. That's on you, man.



Serve! Serve it however you want! I had it with some roasted fingerling potatoes and steamed broccoli. You could have it in a bun with some coleslaw, like traditional pulled pork. You could have it with rice, beans, and veggies. You could mix it into a Cajun salad. You could put it on my naked body. It's totally up to you!


So there you go! First recipe! If you make it, please tell me if you like it or not. Constructive feedback is more than welcome, and I promise not to be a little bitch about it. Don't mind the photos though - they were taken on my phone, and my kitchen doesn't have the best lighting, but I'm gonna work on some better quality pics as we go on here

OK love, peace, and (fake) pork y'all
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Paleo life

Vegan Lasagne!

Juice Do It