Juice Do It

HI GUYS! Long time, no chat. My apologies for my extended writing absence. The last time I wrote was nearly a year ago. I got so distracted with meeting new people and playing at the beach in the Philippines, that I just plum forgot to blog about the rest of the trip. Much like how I forgot to blog the rest of Veg-Tember last year as well. Clearly, regular blogging is not my forte so just get off my fucking back OK.

I'm back in temporary action on this ole thing to tell you all about my latest endeavour in health and making my life just a little bit harder - a 3 day juice cleanse!

Rather than do a write up on the cleanse after it's over (since I'll inevitably either forget to do it, or procrastinate it for so long that I'll have forgotten everything that happened), I've decided to write day by day, maybe even a play-by-play of everything going through my hungry hungry brain in real time. I am a bit delayed in the first day, as, to be honest, I only just decided to resurrect this blog and it's already 4pm.

The cleanse I am doing is from The Juice Truck here in Vancouver. I had been tossing up the idea of trying a juice cleanse for a couple of weeks, and they had a great Cyber Monday offer that clinched the decision for me. Knowing that I'd be far likelier to cheat if I was suffering alone, I somehow convinced two of my coworkers to do it with me. I masked it under the guise of encouraging them to be healthful, to boost their immunity, cleanse toxins, and all those other wonderful juice cleanse benefits. But, really, it was because I didn't want to be the only crabby bitch in the office, and I didn't want to have to smell their breakfasts and lunches. You're welcome, Jess and Steph, I fucking tricked you.

The nice juice man came to my apartment last night to drop off the giant coffin full of 3 days' worth of juices, so that I'd be ready to go for the following morning. I made a last supper of curry, coleslaw, and grapes for dessert, which served two purposes.
1) to get rid of some perishables in my fridge that wouldn't last the few days, and
2) to eat something delicious in case I die.
I almost wish I had eaten something gross so that my last memory of food wouldn't have been of that amazing curry, but alas, I'm just too good of a cook.

The Juice Truck provides a menu with the order in which they recommend to drink each juice. The first on the menu was the aptly named 'Kickstarter'. It consisted of apple, cucumber, ginger, lemon, and cayenne. She was a spicy lil tart! It's advised to drink your first juice around the same time you'd eat breakfast, which for me is usually between 9-10am. Since I usually hit the gym at 6am, by 9-10am, my tummy is good and rumbly. Today was no exception, and there was a solid hour when I first got to the office where I considered giving up before I'd even started just so I could have a bagel. The lure of carbs is so real. But, that tart of a juice did it's job of curbing those cravings before they got the best of me. Good job, girl.

The Spicy Lil Tart


The recommendation is to drink a juice every 2-2.5 hours. By 11, I was feeling a bit peckish, so I grabbed juice #2 - The Base, which contains cukes, celery, kale, pear, lemon, and ginger. It had a bit of bite from the ginger, but not as spicy as the Kickstarter. There was a lovely savoury note, that helped me feel almost like I was eating actual food. As the name would suggest, it felt like it provided me a base of nutrition to keep going through the rest of the day.



The Basic Bitch



I waited a little over 2.5 hours for the next squeeze - The Red. The Base actually kept me pretty satisfied through the rest of the morning and early afternoon. The Red was a welcome treat, however, because we get to have CHIA SEEDS! Crunchy lil beans shaken into the juice to once again give the illusion that we have had real people food. The Red was the sweetest juice so far, but still earthy and satisfying from the beets, chard, and carrots.


The Sweet Lady


Now you find me at nearly the end of the work day. I feel vaguely hungry, but not ravenous by any stretch. In addition to these 3 juices, I've had at least 1.5 litres of water, and 3 big mugs of tea (green/peppermint), which I'm sure has helped keeping me satiated.

I still have 4 (count 'em) more juices to get through today, plus I will probably have some homemade veggie broth when I get home for 'dinner' because I'm craving something savoury. I'll post again later this evening, or tomorrow morning, depending on how much time I have out of the bathroom, since, not surprisingly, I've been pissing like a goddamn racehorse all day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Paleo life

Vegan Lasagne!

Depression, Disordered Eating, And All That Bullshit In Between